Title 1, Chapter 3, Section 3
As used in this Code or in any other law of this state, the term:
(1) "Abode" ordinarily means domicile.
(2) "Accident" means an event which takes place without one's
foresight or expectation or design.
(3) "Act of God" means an accident produced by physical causes
which are irresistible or inevitable, such as lightning, storms,
perils of the sea, earthquakes, inundations, sudden death, or
illness. This expression excludes all idea of human agency.
(4) "Aforesaid" means next before.
(4.1) "Agriculture," "agricultural operations," or "agricultural
or farm products" means raising, harvesting, or storing of crops;
feeding, breeding, or managing livestock or poultry; producing or
storing feed for use in the production of livestock, including,
but not limited to, cattle, calves, swine, hogs, goats, sheep,
ratites, and rabbits, or for use in the production of poultry,
including, but not limited to, chickens, hens, and turkeys;
producing plants, trees, fowl, or animals; or the production of
aquacultural, horticultural, dairy, livestock, poultry, eggs, and
apiarian products. If the term "agriculture," "agricultural
operations," or "agricultural or farm products" is defined in
Title 2, Title 4, Title 10, or Title 11 or in any chapter,
article, part, subpart, or Code section of such titles, such
specific definition shall control for such purposes over the
definition contained in this paragraph. Agricultural or farm
products are considered grown in this state if such products are
grown, produced, or processed in this state, whether or not such
products are composed of constituent products grown or produced
outside this state.
(5) "As soon as possible" means within a reasonable time, having
due regard to all the circumstances.
(6) "Child" or "grandchild" means legitimate descendants.
(7) "County governing authority" means the board of county
commissioners, the sole county commissioner, or the governing
authority of a consolidated government.
(7.1) "Crops" or "growing crops" means fruits and products of all
annual or perennial plants, trees, and shrubs and shall also
include plants, trees, shrubs, and other agricultural products
that are produced for sale. If the term "crops" or "growing
crops" is defined in Title 2, Title 4, or Title 10 or in any
chapter, article, part, subpart, or Code section of such titles,
such specific definition shall control for such purposes over the
definition contained in this paragraph.
(8) "Following" means next after.
(9) "Lunatic," "insane," or "non compos mentis" each includes all
persons of unsound mind.
(10) "May" ordinarily denotes permission and not command.
However, where the word as used concerns the public interest or
affects the rights of third persons, it shall be construed to mean
"must" or "shall."
(11) "Month" means a calendar month. A scholastic month in public
schools is 20 school days.
(12) "Oath" includes affirmation.
(13) "Penitentiary" means any place where inmates are confined
under the authority of any law of this state.
(14) "Person" includes a corporation.
(15) "Preceding" means next before.
(16) "Property" includes real and personal property.
(16.1) "Ratites" mean any members of the ratite family, including
but not limited to ostriches, emus, and rheas, which are not
indigenous to this state and which are raised for the purpose of
producing meat, fiber, or animal by-products or as breeding stock.
For the purposes of the laws of this state, ratites shall be
treated as livestock and the term "livestock" as used in this Code
or any law of this state shall include ratites unless such ratites
are specifically excluded from the operation of any such law or
unless such law or the operation thereof is restricted to a
certain type of livestock.
(17) "Seal" includes impressions on the paper itself, as well as
impressions on wax or wafers. With the exception of official
seals, a scrawl or any other mark intended as a seal shall be held
(18) "Sickness" means any affection of the body which deprives it
temporarily of the power to fulfill its usual functions.
(19) "Signature" or "subscription" includes the mark of an
illiterate or infirm person.
(19.5) "Statutory overnight delivery" shall have the meaning provided for in subsection (b) of Code Section 9-10-12.
(20) "Trespass" means any misfeasance, transgression, or offense
which damages another's health, reputation, or property.
(21) "Until," when used with reference to a certain day, includes
all of such day.
(22) "Whereas" means considering that.
(23) "Writing" includes printing and all numerals.
(24) "Year" means a calendar year.