Title 10, Chapter 1, Section 430
As used in this part, the term:
(1) "Art dealer" means a person who is in the business of dealing
exclusively or nonexclusively in fine art multiples, a person who
by his occupation holds himself out as having knowledge or skill
peculiar to fine art multiples or persons to whom that knowledge
or skill may be attributed by his employment of an agent or other
intermediary who by his occupation holds himself out as having
that knowledge or skill, or an auctioneer who sells fine art
multiples at public auction. The term shall not include
consignors or principals of auctioneers unless such consignors or
principals are otherwise specifically defined as art dealers by
(2) "Artist" means the person who created the image which is
contained in or constitutes the master or who conceived of and
approved the image which is contained in or constitutes the
(3) "Fine art multiple" or "multiple" means any print, positive or
negative photograph, or similar art object produced in more than
one copy. The term includes pages or sheets taken from books or
magazines but shall not include books or magazines.
(4) "Limited edition" means fine art multiples produced from a
master all of which are the same image and which bear numbers or
other markings to denote the limited production thereof to a
stated maximum number of multiples or which are otherwise held out
as limited to a maximum number of multiples.
(5) "Master" means a printing plate, stone, block, screen,
photographic negative, or other device which contains an image and
is used to produce fine art objects in multiples.
(6) "Person" means an individual, partnership, corporation,
association, or other entity.
(7) "Print" means a multiple produced by, but not limited to,
engraving, etching, woodcutting, lithography, and serigraphy and a
multiple produced or developed from photographic negatives.
(8) "Proofs" means multiples which are the same as and which are
produced in a limited edition from the same master as the
multiples but which, whether so designated or not, are set aside
from and are in addition to the limited edition to which they
(9) "Signed" means autographed by the artist's own hand, and not
by mechanical means of reproduction, after the multiple is
(10) "Written instrument" means a written or printed agreement,
bill of sale, invoice, certificate of authenticity, catalogue,
note, memorandum, or label describing a multiple which is to be
sold, exchanged, or consigned by an art dealer.