Title 12, Chapter 5, Section 22
As used in this article, the term:
(1) "Director" means the director of the Environmental Protection
Division of the Department of Natural Resources.
(2) "Division" means the Environmental Protection Division of the
Department of Natural Resources.
(3) "Effluent limitation" means any restriction or prohibition
established under this article on quantities, rates, or
concentrations, or a combination thereof, of chemical, physical,
biological, or other constituents which are discharged from point
sources into the water of the state, including, but not limited
to, schedules of compliance.
(4) "Industrial wastes" means any liquid, solid, or gaseous
substance, or combination thereof, resulting from a process of
industry, manufacture, or business or from the development of any
(5) "Nonpoint source" means any source which discharges pollutants
into the waters of the state other than a point source.
(6) "Other wastes" means liquid, gaseous, or solid substances,
except industrial wastes and sewage, which may cause or tend to
cause pollution of any waters of the state.
(7) "Person" means any individual, corporation, partnership, or
other unincorporated association. This term may extend and be
applied to bodies politic and corporate.
(8) "Point source" means any discernible, confined, or discrete
conveyance, including, but not limited to, any pipe, ditch,
channel, tunnel, conduit, well, discrete fissure, container,
rolling stock, concentrated animal feeding operation, or vessel or
other floating craft, from which pollutants are or may be
(9) "Pollutant" means dredged spoil, solid waste, incinerator
residue, sewage, garbage, sewage sludge, munitions, chemical
wastes, biological materials, radioactive materials, heat, wrecked
or discarded equipment, rock, sand, cellar dirt, industrial
wastes, municipal waste, and agricultural waste discharged into
the waters of the state. It does not mean (A) sewage from vessels
or (B) water, gas, or other material which is injected into a well
to facilitate production of oil or gas, or water derived in
association with oil or gas production and disposed of in a well,
if the well, used either to facilitate production or for disposal
purposes, is approved by the appropriate authorities of this
state, and if such authorities determine that such injection or
disposal will not result in degradation of ground-water or
(10) "Pollution" means the manmade or man-induced alteration of
the chemical, physical, biological, and radiological integrity of
(11) "Sewage" means the water carried waste products or discharges
from human beings or from the rendering of animal products, or
chemicals or other wastes from residences, public or private
buildings, or industrial establishments, together with such
ground, surface, or storm water as may be present.
(12) "Sewage system" means sewage treatment works, pipelines or
conduits, pumping stations, and force mains, and all other
constructions, devices, and appliances appurtenant thereto, used
for conducting sewage or industrial wastes or other wastes to the
point of ultimate disposal.
(13) "Waters" or "waters of the state" means any and all rivers,
streams, creeks, branches, lakes, reservoirs, ponds, drainage
systems, springs, wells, and all other bodies of surface or
subsurface water, natural or artificial, lying within or forming a
part of the boundaries of the state which are not entirely
confined and retained completely upon the property of a single
individual, partnership, or corporation.