Title 12, Chapter 5, Section 322
As used in this part, the term:
(1) "Activity" or "activities" means an action or actions which
will have reasonably foreseeable effects upon land use, water use,
or natural resources of the coastal area.
(2) "Board" means the Board of Natural Resources.
(3) "Certification of consistency" means a certification made by a
person in connection with an application for a federally
administered permit to conduct an activity or activities as
defined in this Code section. Such certification of consistency
shall be based on determination of the activity's compliance with
the policies of the Georgia coastal management program. Only
those activities requiring a federally administered permit will
require such certification of consistency.
(4) "Coastal area" or "coastal zone" means all tidally influenced
waters and submerged land seaward to the state's jurisdictional
limits and all lands, submerged lands, waters, and other resources
within the Counties of Brantley, Bryan, Camden, Charlton, Chatham,
Effingham, Glynn, Long, Liberty, McIntosh, and Wayne.
(5) "Department" means the Department of Natural Resources.
(6) "Determination of consistency" means a determination made by a
federal agency proposing an activity or activities as defined in
this Code section. Such determination of consistency shall be
based on a determination of the activity's effects upon the
coastal area. Only those activities proposed to be undertaken by
a federal agency will be subject to a determination of
(7) "Federal agency" means the United States government and all
its departments, boards, bureaus, commissions, and wholly owned
corporations owned by the federal government.
(8) "Federally administered permit" means only those permits,
licenses, or approvals required by federal law or regulation and
issued by an agency of the federal government.
(9) "Georgia coastal management program" means a compilation of
policies to guide the public and private uses of land and waters
within the coastal area administered by the department in
consultation with the state agencies and local governments of the
coastal area and approved by the secretary of commerce in
accordance with the requirements of the federal Coastal Zone
Management Act of 1972, as amended, 16 U.S.C. Sections 1451 and
(10) "Local government" means a county, as defined by Code Section 36-1-1, or an incorporated municipality, as defined by Code Section 36-40-21, or any combination thereof, which has been authorized by an Act of the General Assembly, any of which has within its jurisdiction any coastal area.
(11) "Person" means any individual, partnership, corporation,
municipal corporation, local government, association, state
agency, or public or private authority.
(12) "Policy" or "policies" of the Georgia coastal management
program means the enforceable provisions of present or future
applicable statutes of this state or regulations duly promulgated
(13) "State agency" means this state and all its departments,
boards, authorities, bureaus, and commissions.
(14) "State permit" means all those permits, licenses, or
approvals, whether required by a federal or state law, which are
administered by a state agency.
(15) "Submerged land" means all lands lying or being under tidally
influenced waters of the state.
(16) "Tidally influenced waters" means any water where the tide
ebbs and floods on a daily basis.