Title 13, Chapter 11, Section 2
As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) "Contractor" means a person who contracts with an owner to
improve real property, to perform construction services, or to
perform construction management services for an owner.
(2) "Improve" means to build, effect, alter, repair, or demolish
any improvement upon, connected with, or on or beneath the surface
of any real property or to excavate, clear, grade, fill, or
landscape any real property or to construct driveways and private
roadways or to furnish materials, including trees and shrubbery,
for any of such purposes or to perform any labor upon such
(3) "Improvement" means all or any part of any building,
structure, erection, alteration, demolition, excavation, clearing,
grading, filling, or landscaping, including trees and shrubbery,
driveways, and roadways, on real property.
(4) "Owner" means a person who has an interest in the real
property improved and for whom an improvement is made and who
ordered the improvement to be made. "Owner" includes private
persons and entities and state, local, or municipal government
agencies, instrumentalities, or entities; provided, however, that
the provisions of this chapter shall not apply when the owner is a
county having a population of less than 10,000 according to the
United States decennial census of 1990 or any such future census
or when the owner is a municipality having a population of less
than 2,500 according to the United States decennial census of 1990
or any such future census.
(5) "Owner's representative" means the architect or engineer in
charge of the project for the owner or such other contract
representative or officer as designated in the contract documents
as the party representing the owner's interest regarding
administration and oversight of the project.
(6) "Real property" means the real estate that is improved,
including lands, leaseholds, tenements, and improvements placed on
the real property.
(7) "Receipt" means actual receipt of cash or funds in the
contractor's or subcontractor's bank account.
(8) "Subcontractor" means any person who has contracted to furnish labor or materials to, or has performed labor or supplied materials for, a contractor or another subcontractor in connection with a contract to improve real property. For purposes of this chapter, the term "subcontractor" shall also include materialmen as defined in Code Section 44-14-360.