Title 16, Chapter 1, Section 3
As used in this title, the term:
(1) "Affirmative defense" means, with respect to any affirmative
defense authorized in this title, unless the state's evidence
raises the issue invoking the alleged defense, the defendant must
present evidence thereon to raise the issue. The enumeration in
this title of some affirmative defenses shall not be construed as
excluding the existence of others.
(2) "Agency" means:
(A) When used with respect to the state government, any
department, commission, committee, authority, board, or bureau
(B) When used with respect to any political subdivision of the
state government, any department, commission, committee,
authority, board, or bureau thereof.
(3) "Another" means a person or persons other than the accused.
(4) "Conviction" includes a final judgment of conviction entered
upon a verdict or finding of guilty of a crime or upon a plea of
(5) "Felony" means a crime punishable by death, by imprisonment
for life, or by imprisonment for more than 12 months.
(6) "Forcible felony" means any felony which involves the use or
threat of physical force or violence against any person.
(7) "Forcible misdemeanor" means any misdemeanor which involves
the use or threat of physical force or violence against any
(8) "Government" means the United States, the state, any political
subdivision thereof, or any agency of the foregoing.
(9) "Misdemeanor" and "misdemeanor of a high and aggravated
nature" mean any crime other than a felony.
(10) "Owner" means a person who has a right to possession of
property which is superior to that of a person who takes, uses,
obtains, or withholds it from him and which the person taking,
using, obtaining, or withholding is not privileged to infringe.
(11) "Peace officer" means any person who by virtue of his office
or public employment is vested by law with a duty to maintain
public order or to make arrests for offenses, whether that duty
extends to all crimes or is limited to specific offenses.
(12) "Person" means an individual, a public or private
corporation, an incorporated association, government, government
agency, partnership, or unincorporated association.
(13) "Property" means anything of value, including but not limited
to real estate, tangible and intangible personal property,
contract rights, services, choses in action, and other interests
in or claims to wealth, admission or transportation tickets,
captured or domestic animals, food and drink, and electric or
(14) "Prosecution" means all legal proceedings by which a person's
liability for a crime is determined, commencing with the return of
the indictment or the filing of the accusation, and including the
final disposition of the case upon appeal.
(15) "Public place" means any place where the conduct involved may
reasonably be expected to be viewed by people other than members
of the actor's family or household.
(16) "Reasonable belief" means that the person concerned, acting
as a reasonable man, believes that the described facts exist.
(17) "State" means the State of Georgia, all land and water in
respect to which this state has either exclusive or concurrent
jurisdiction, and the airspace above such land and water.
(18) "Without authority" means without legal right or privilege or
without permission of a person legally entitled to withhold the
(19) "Without his consent" means that a person whose concurrence
is required has not, with knowledge of the essential facts,
voluntarily yielded to the proposal of the accused or of another.