Title 17, Chapter 17, Section 3
As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) "Accused" means a person suspected of and subject to arrest
for, arrested for, or convicted of a crime against a victim.
(2) "Arresting law enforcement agency" means any law enforcement
agency, other than the investigating law enforcement agency, which
arrests the accused.
(3) "Compensation" means awards granted by the Georgia Crime
Victims Compensation Board pursuant to Chapter 15 of this title.
(4) "Crime" means an act committed in this state which constitutes any violation of Chapter 5 of Title 16, relating to crimes against persons; Chapter 6 of Title 16, relating to sexual offenses; Article 1 or Article 3 of Chapter 7 of Title 16, relating to burglary and arson; Article 1 or Article 2 of Chapter 8 of Title 16, relating to offenses involving theft and armed robbery; Code Section 16-12-100, relating to sexual exploitation of children; Code Section 40-6-393, relating to homicide by vehicle; Code Section 40-6-393.1, relating to feticide by vehicle; or Code Section 40-6-394, relating to serious injury by vehicle.
(5) "Custodial authority" means a warden, sheriff, jailer, deputy
sheriff, police officer, correctional officer, officer or employee
of the Department of Corrections or the Department of Juvenile
Justice, or any other law enforcement officer having actual
custody of the accused.
(6) "Investigating law enforcement agency" means the law
enforcement agency responsible for the investigation of the crime.
(7) "Notice," "notification," or "notify" means a written notice
when time permits or, failing such, a documented effort to reach
the victim by telephonic or other means.
(8) "Person" means an individual.
(9) "Prompt notice," "prompt notification," or "promptly notify"
means notification given to the victim as soon as practically
possible so as to provide the victim with a meaningful opportunity
to exercise his or her rights pursuant to this chapter.
(10) "Prosecuting attorney" means the district attorney, the
solicitor-general of a state court or the solicitor of any other
court, the Attorney General, a county attorney opposing an accused
in a habeas corpus proceeding, or the designee of any of these.
(11) "Victim" means:
(A) A person against whom a crime has been perpetrated; or
(B) In the event of the death of the crime victim, the following
relations if the relation is not either in custody for an
offense or the defendant:
(i) The spouse;
(ii) An adult child if division (i) does not apply;
(iii) A parent if divisions (i) and (ii) do not apply;
(iv) A sibling if divisions (i) through (iii) do not apply; or
(v) A grandparent if divisions (i) through (iv) do not apply;
(C) A parent, guardian, or custodian of a crime victim who is a
minor or a legally incapacitated person except if such parent,
guardian, or custodian is in custody for an offense or is the