Title 20, Chapter 2, Section 2062
As used in this article, the term:
(1) "Charter" means an academic or vocational performance based
contract or an academic and vocational performance based contract
between the state board, a local board of education, and a charter
petitioner, the terms of which are approved by the local board of
education and by the state board.
(2) "Charter petitioner" means a local school, private individual,
private organization, or state or local public entity which
submits a petition for a charter. The term "charter petitioner"
does not include home study programs or schools, sectarian
schools, religious schools, private for profit schools, private
educational institutions not established, operated, or governed by
the State of Georgia, or existing private schools.
(3) "Charter school" means a public school that is operating under
the terms of a charter granted by the state board.
(4) "Local board" means a county or independent board of education
exercising control and management of a local school system
pursuant to Article VIII, Section V, Paragraph II of the
(5) "Local school" means a public school in Georgia which is under
the management and control of a local board.
(6) "Local school system" means the system of public schools
established and maintained by a local board within its limits
pursuant to Article VIII, Section V, Paragraph I of the
(7) "Minimum state standards" means such minimum standards as are
established by the state board as a condition of continued state
fiscal assistance to a local school system.
(8) "Petition" means a proposal to enter into a charter.
(9) "State board" means the State Board of Education.