Title 33, Chapter 37, Section 3
As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) "Ancillary state" means any state other than a domiciliary
(2) "Commissioner" means the Commissioner of Insurance.
(3) "Creditor" means a person having any claim, whether matured or
unmatured, liquidated or unliquidated, secured or unsecured,
absolute, fixed, or contingent.
(4) "Delinquency proceeding" means any proceeding instituted against an insurer for the purpose of liquidating, rehabilitating, reorganizing, or conserving such insurer and any summary proceeding under Code Section 33-37-9. "Formal delinquency proceeding" means any liquidation or rehabilitation proceeding.
(5) "Doing business" includes any of the following acts, whether
effected by mail or otherwise:
(A) The issuance or delivery of contracts of insurance to
persons resident in this state;
(B) The solicitation of applications for such contracts or other
negotiations preliminary to the execution of such contracts;
(C) The collection of premiums, membership fees, assessments, or
other consideration for such contracts;
(D) The transaction of matters subsequent to execution of such
contracts and arising out of them; or
(E) Operating under a license or certificate of authority, as an
insurer, issued by the Insurance Department.
(6) "Domiciliary state" means the state in which an insurer is
incorporated or organized; or, in the case of an alien insurer,
its state of entry.
(7) "Fair consideration" means:
(A) When in exchange for property or obligation as a fair
equivalent therefor and in good faith, property is conveyed,
services are rendered, an obligation is incurred, or an
antecedent debt is satisfied; or
(B) When property or obligation is received in good faith to
secure a present advance or antecedent, debt in amount not
disproportionately small as compared to the value of the
property or obligation obtained.
(8) "Foreign country" means any other jurisdiction not in any
(9) "General assets" means all property, real, personal, or
otherwise, not specifically mortgaged, pledged, deposited, or
otherwise encumbered for the security or benefit of specified
persons or classes of persons. As to specifically encumbered
property, "general assets" includes all such property or its
proceeds in excess of the amount necessary to discharge the sum or
sums secured thereby. Assets held in trust and on deposit for the
security or benefit of all policyholders or all policyholders and
creditors in more than a single state shall be treated as general
(10) "Guaranty association" means the Georgia Insurers Insolvency
Pool created by Chapter 36 of this title, the Georgia Life and
Health Insurance Guaranty Association created by Chapter 38 of
this title, and any other similar entity now or hereafter created
by the General Assembly for the payment of claims of insolvent
insurers. "Foreign guaranty association" means any similar
entities now in existence in or hereafter created by the
legislature of any other state.
(11) "Insolvency" or "insolvent" means:
(A) For an insurer issuing only assessable fire insurance
(i) The inability to pay any obligation within 30 days after
it becomes payable; or
(ii) If an assessment is made within 30 days after an
obligation becomes payable, the inability to pay such
obligation 30 days following the date specified in the first
assessment notice issued after the date of loss;
(B) For any other insurer, the inability to pay its obligations
when they are due, or when its admitted assets do not exceed its
liabilities plus the greater of:
(i) Any capital and surplus required by law for its
(ii) The total par or stated value of its authorized and
issued capital stock; and
(C) As to any insurer licensed to do business in this state as
of July 1, 1991, which does not meet the standard established
under subparagraph (B) of this paragraph, for a period not to
exceed three years from July 1, 1991, the inability to pay its
obligations when they are due or that its admitted assets do not
exceed its liabilities plus any required capital contribution
ordered by the Commissioner under provisions of this title.
For purposes of this paragraph, "liabilities" shall include, but
not be limited to, reserves required by statute or by regulations
or specific requirements imposed by the Commissioner upon a
subject company at the time of admission or subsequent thereto.
(12) "Insurer" means any person who has done, purports to do, is doing, or is licensed to do an insurance business and is or has been subject to liquidation, rehabilitation, reorganization, supervision, the authority of, or conservation by any state insurance regulatory official. For purposes of this chapter, any other persons included under Code Section 33-37-2 shall be deemed to be insurers. (13) "Preferred claim" means any claim with respect to which the terms of this chapter accord priority of payment from the general assets of the insurer.
(14) "Receiver" means receiver, liquidator, rehabilitator, or
conservator as the context requires.
(15) "Reciprocal state" means any state other than this state in which in substance and effect Code Sections 33-37-17, 33-37-51, 33-37-52, and 33-37-54 through 33-37-56 are in force, and in which provisions are in force requiring that the Commissioner or equivalent official be the receiver of a delinquent insurer, and in which some provision exists for the avoidance of fraudulent conveyances and preferential transfers.
(16) "Secured claim" means any claim secured by mortgage, trust
deed, pledge, deposit as security, escrow, or otherwise, but not
including special deposit claims or claims against general assets.
The term also includes claims which have become liens upon
specific assets by reason of judicial process.
(17) "Special deposit claim" means any claim secured by a deposit
made pursuant to statute for the security or benefit of a limited
class or classes of persons, but not including any claim secured
by general assets.
(18) "State" means any state, district, or territory of the United
(19) "Transfer" shall include the sale and every other and
different mode, direct or indirect, of disposing of or of parting
with property, an interest therein, the possession thereof or of
fixing a lien upon property or upon an interest therein, whether
absolutely or conditionally, voluntarily, or by or without
judicial proceedings. The retention of a security title to
property delivered to a debtor shall be deemed a transfer suffered
by the debtor.