Title 34, Chapter 13, Section 2
As used in this chapter, the term:
(2) "Authorized person" means a competent person experienced and
instructed in the work to be performed who has been given the
responsibility to perform his duty by the owner or the owner's
(3) "Carnival ride" means any mechanical device, other than
amusement rides regulated under Chapter 12 of this title, known as
the "Amusement Ride Safety Act," which carries or conveys
passengers along, around, or over a fixed or restricted route or
course or within a defined area for the purpose of giving its
passengers amusement, pleasure, thrills, or excitement. Such term
shall not include any such device which is permanently fixed to a
(3.1) "Certificate fee" means the fee charged by the department
for a certificate to operate a carnival ride.
(4) "Certificate of inspection" means a certificate issued by a
licensed inspector that a carnival ride meets all relevant
provisions of this chapter and the standards and regulations
adopted pursuant thereto.
(5) "Commissioner" means the Commissioner of Labor.
(6) "Department" means the Department of Labor, which is
designated to enforce the provisions of this chapter and to
formulate and enforce standards and regulations.
(7) "Licensed inspector" means a registered professional engineer
or any other person who is found by the department to possess the
requisite training and experience to perform competently the
inspections required by this chapter and who is licensed by the
department to perform inspections of carnival rides.
(8) "Operator" means a person or persons actually engaged in or
directly controlling the operation of a carnival ride.
(9) "Owner" means a person, including the state or any of its
subdivisions, who owns a carnival ride or, in the event that the
carnival ride is leased, the lessee.
(10) "Permit" means a permit to operate a carnival ride issued to
an owner by the department.
(11) "Permit fee" means the fee charged by the department for a
permit to operate a carnival ride.
(12) "Standards and regulations" means those standards and
regulations formulated and enforced by the department.