Title 36, Chapter 70, Section 2
As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) "Comprehensive plan" means any plan by a county or
municipality covering such county or municipality proposed or
prepared pursuant to the minimum standards and procedures for
preparation of comprehensive plans and for implementation of
comprehensive plans established by the department.
(2) "Coordinated and comprehensive planning" means planning by
counties and municipalities undertaken in accordance with the
minimum standards and procedures for preparation of plans, for
implementation of plans, and for participation in the coordinated
and comprehensive planning process, as established by the
(3) "County" means any county of this state.
(4) "Department" means the Department of Community Affairs of the
State of Georgia created pursuant to Article 1 of Chapter 8 of
(5) "Governing authority" or "governing body" means the board of
commissioners of a county, sole commissioner of a county, council,
commissioners, or other governing authority for a county or
(5.1) "Inactive municipality" means any municipality which has not
for a period of three consecutive calendar years carried out any
of the following activities:
(A) The levying or collecting of any taxes or fees;
(B) The provision of any of the following governmental services:
water; sewage; garbage collection; police protection; fire
protection; or library; or
(C) The holding of a municipal election.
(5.2) "Local government" means any county as defined in paragraph
(3) of this Code section or any municipality as defined in
paragraph (7) of this Code section. The term does not include any
school district of this state.
(5.3) "Mechanisms" includes, but is not limited to,
intergovernmental agreements, ordinances, resolutions, and local
Acts of the General Assembly in effect on July 1, 1997, or
(6) "Minimum standards and procedures" means the minimum standards
and procedures for preparation of comprehensive plans, for
implementation of comprehensive plans, and for participation in
the coordinated and comprehensive planning process, as established
by the department, in accordance with Article 1 of Chapter 8 of
Title 50. Minimum standards and procedures shall include any
standards and procedures for such purposes prescribed by a
regional development center for counties and municipalities within
its region and approved in advance by the department.
(7) "Municipality" means any municipal corporation of the state
and any consolidated city-county government of the state.
(8) "Region" means the territorial area within the boundaries of
operation for any regional development center, as such boundaries
shall be established from time to time by the board of the
(9) "Regional development center" means a regional development
center established under Article 2 of Chapter 8 of Title 50.