Title 40, Chapter 13, Section 53
(a) Subject to the exceptions set out in subsection (b) of this Code section, any officer who arrests any person for the violation of a traffic law or traffic ordinance alleged to have been committed outside the corporate limits of any municipality shall permit such person to be released upon being served with a citation and complaint and agreeing to appear, as provided in this article. If such officer has reasonable and probable grounds to believe that the person will not obey such citation and agreement to appear, the officer may require such person to surrender his driver's license in accordance with Code Section 17-6-11.
(b) The following offenses shall not be handled or disposed of by a
traffic violations bureau:
(1) Any offense for which a driver's license may be suspended by
the commissioner of motor vehicle safety;
(2) Any motor vehicle registration violation;
(3) A violation of Code Section 40-5-20;
(4) Speeding in excess of 30 miles per hour over the posted speed
(5) Any offense which would otherwise be a traffic violations
bureau offense but which arose out of the same conduct or occurred
in conjunction with an offense which is excluded from the
jurisdiction of the traffic violations bureau. Any such offense
shall be subject to the maximum punishment set by law.