Title 42, Chapter 7, Section 2
As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) "Board" means the Board of Corrections.
(2) "Commissioner" means the commissioner of corrections.
(3) "Conviction" means a judgment on a verdict or finding of
guilty, a plea of guilty, or a plea of nolo contendere in a felony
case but excludes all judgments upon criminal offenses for which
the maximum punishment provided by law is death or life
(4) "Court" means any court of competent jurisdiction other than a
(5) "Department" means the Department of Corrections.
(6) "Treatment" means corrective and preventative incarceration,
guidance, and training designed to protect the public by
correcting the antisocial tendencies of youthful offenders, which
may include but is not limited to vocational, educational, and
other training deemed fit and necessary by the department.
(7) "Youthful offender" means any male offender who is at least 17
but less than 25 years of age at the time of conviction and who in
the opinion of the department has the potential and desire for