Title 43, Chapter 19, Section 3
As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) "Board" means the State Board of Registration for Professional
(2) "Geologist" means a person engaged in the practice of geology.
(3) "Geology" means that science which treats of the earth in
general; investigation of the earth's crust and the rocks and
other materials which compose it; and the applied science of
utilizing knowledge of the earth and its constituent rocks,
minerals, liquids, gases, and other materials for the benefit of
(4) "Public practice of geology" means the performance of
geological service or work such as consultation, investigation,
surveys, evaluation, planning, mapping, and inspection of
geological work in which the performance is related to public
welfare or safeguarding of life, health, property, and the
environment, except as specifically exempted by this chapter. A
person shall be construed to practice publicly or offer to
practice publicly geology, within the meaning and intent of this
chapter, who practices any branch of the profession of geology; or
who by verbal claim, sign, advertisement, letterhead, card, or in
any other way represents himself to be a geologist; or through the
use of some other title implies that he is a geologist; or that he
is registered under this chapter; or who holds himself out as able
to perform or who does perform any geological services or work
recognized as geology.
(5) "Qualified geologist" means a person who is not registered
under this chapter but who possesses all the qualifications
specified in this chapter for registration.
(6) "Registered certified specialty geologist" means a person who
is certified as a specialty geologist under this chapter.
(7) "Registered geologist" means a person who is registered as a
geologist under this chapter.
(8) "Responsible charge of work" means the independent control and
direction, by the use of initiative, skill, and independent
judgment, of geological work or the supervision of such work.
(9) "Subordinate" means any person who assists a registered
geologist or a registered engineer in the practice of geology
without assuming the responsible charge of work.