Title 46, Chapter 5, Section 62
As used in this part, the term:
(1) "Cooperative" means any corporation organized under this part
or which becomes subject to this part.
(2) "Person" means any natural person, firm, association,
corporation, business trust, or partnership.
(3) "Rural area" means any area within this state which is located
(A) The boundaries of an incorporated or unincorporated city,
town, village, or borough having a population in excess of 1,500
inhabitants according to the last preceding federal census; and
(B) Any suburban or populated area contiguous to the boundaries
of any such city, town, village, or borough, which area has a
common economic, social, or administrative interest with any
such city, town, village, or borough.
(4) "Telephone company" means any natural person, firm,
association, corporation, partnership, cooperative nonprofit
membership corporation, or limited dividend or mutual association
owning, leasing, or operating any line, facility, or system used
in the furnishing of telephone service within this state.
(5) "Telephone service" means any communication service whereby
voice communication through the use of electricity and wire
connections between the transmitting and receiving apparatus is
the principal intended use thereof. This term shall include all
telephone lines, facilities, or systems used in the rendition of