Title 47, Chapter 22, Section 1
As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) "Accumulated contributions" means the sum of all amounts
deducted from the compensation of a member's salary and credited
to such member's individual account in this plan, together with
earnings thereon as provided in this chapter.
(2) "Board" means the Board of Trustees of the Employees'
Retirement System of Georgia.
(3) "Defined contribution plan" means a plan which provides for an
individual account for each participant and for benefits based
solely on the amount contributed to the participant's account; any
income, expenses, gains, and losses; and any forfeiture of
accounts of other participants which may be allocated to such
participant's account, which plan is intended to be qualified
under Section 401(a) of the Internal Revenue Code, 42 U.S.C.
(4) "Employee" means any employee of an employer who is not a
member of any public retirement or pension system created pursuant
to this title; provided, however, the following persons shall not
be considered employees under this paragraph:
(A) A person performing services for an institution in which
such person is duly enrolled as a full-time student;
(B) A person performing services for an employer pursuant to a
contract as a bona fide independent contractor; or
(C) Members of any state board or commission.
(5) "Employer" means the state or any department, bureau,
institution, board, or commission of the state, the State Board of
Education, and the Board of Regents of the University System of
(6) "Member" means any employee included in the membership of the
(7) "Plan" means the Georgia Defined Contribution Plan created by