Title 50, Chapter 5, Section 192
As used in this part, the term:
(1) "Costs" means the reasonable and customary charges for goods
and services incurred or to be incurred in the establishment of a
state-wide distance learning and telemedicine network with the
exception of charges from a transport provider, or network
provider for the provision of equipment or facilities which are
multiple use. The charges for such multiple use facilities must
be prorated by the Georgia Technology Authority.
(2) "Distance learning" means an interactive telecommunications
system that utilizes audio, video, and other appropriate elements
and is compatible with other distance learning networks and that
is used for the purpose of enhancing instructional opportunities
in Georgia schools.
(3) "Governing board" means the Distance Learning and Telemedicine
Network Governing Board.
(4) "Medical facilities" means any fully licensed and accredited,
publicly funded medical care providers that furnish either
inpatient or outpatient services. Research facilities are
(5) "School" means any accredited public institution providing
instruction at levels K-12 or any accredited public postsecondary
(6) "Telemedicine" means an interactive telecommunications system
that utilizes audio, video, and other appropriate elements and is
compatible with other telemedicine networks and that is used for
the purpose of enhancing the delivery of medical care to medical
facilities throughout Georgia.
(7) "Universal Service Fund" means that fund which was created by
the Public Service Commission in Public Service Commission Docket
No. 3905-U and 3921-U, and which is also known as the Economic