Title 11, Chapter 1, Section 102
Purposes; rules of construction; variation by agreement.
(1) This title shall be liberally construed and applied to promote
its underlying purposes and policies.
(2) Underlying purposes and policies of this title are:
(a) To simplify, clarify, and modernize the law governing
(b) To permit the continued expansion of commercial practices
through custom, usage, and agreement of the parties;
(c) To make uniform the law among the various jurisdictions.
(3) The effect of provisions of this title may be varied by
agreement, except as otherwise provided in this title and except
that the obligations of good faith, diligence, reasonableness, and
care prescribed by this title may not be disclaimed by agreement but
the parties may by agreement determine the standards by which the
performance of such obligations is to be measured if such standards
are not manifestly unreasonable.
(4) The presence in certain provisions of this title of the words
"unless otherwise agreed" or words of similar import does not imply
that the effect of other provisions may not be varied by agreement
under subsection (3) of this Code section.
(5) In this title unless the context otherwise requires:
(a) Words in the singular number include the plural, and in the
plural include the singular;
(b) Words of the masculine gender include the feminine and the
neuter, and when the sense so indicates words of the neuter gender
may refer to any gender.