Title 12, Chapter 4, Section 42
As used in this part, the term:
(1) "Board" means the Board of Natural Resources.
(1.1) "Director" means the director of the Environmental
Protection Division of the Department of Natural Resources.
(2) "Drilling" means the boring of a hole in the earth by remote
mechanical means and all associated activities, including but not
limited to casing, perforating, plugging, cementing, and capping.
(3) "Environmentally sensitive area of the coastal zone" means
that area of the coastal zone where salt-water-bearing strata
overlie the fresh-water aquifer system.
(4) "Field" means the general area which is underlaid or appears
to be underlaid by at least one pool. This term shall include the
underground reservoir or reservoirs containing crude petroleum oil
or natural gas, or both. The words "field" and "pool" mean the
same thing when only one underground reservoir is involved;
however, "field," unlike "pool," may relate to two or more pools.
(5) "Gas" means all natural gas, including casing-head gas, and
all other hydrocarbons not defined as oil in paragraph (10) of
this Code section.
(6) "Illegal mineral" means any mineral, including oil or gas,
which has been produced within the State of Georgia in violation
of this part, any rule or regulation adopted and promulgated
pursuant to this part, or any order issued under this part.
(7) "Illegal product" means any product of oil, gas, or other
mineral, any part of which was processed or derived, in whole or
in part, from an illegal mineral.
(8) "Mineral" means any naturally occurring substance found in the
earth which has commercial value. This term shall include oil and
gas, as defined in this Code section, but shall not include fresh
(9) "Mineral product" means any commodity made from any mineral.
(10) "Oil" means crude petroleum oil and other hydrocarbons,
regardless of gravity, which are produced at the well in liquid
form by ordinary production methods and which are not the result
of condensation of gas after it leaves the reservoir.
(11) "Owner" means the person who has the right to drill into and
produce from any pool and to appropriate the production either for
himself and another, or himself and others.
(12) "Person" means any natural person, corporation, joint
venture, association, partnership, receiver, trustee, guardian,
executor, administrator, fiduciary or representative of any kind,
all agencies or instrumentalities of the state, and all county or
municipal governments or any authority.
(13) "Pool" means an underground reservoir containing a common
accumulation of crude petroleum oil or natural gas, or both. Each
zone of a general structure which is completely separated from any
other zone in the structure is covered by the term "pool" as used
in this part.
(14) "Producer" means the owner of a well or wells capable of
producing oil or gas, or both.
(15) "Tender" means a permit or certificate of clearance for the
transportation of minerals, including oil and gas, or mineral
products produced under this part, approved and issued or
registered under the authority of the board.
(16) "Unitization agreement" means a voluntary agreement between
operators to create operation units.
(17) "Waste," in addition to its ordinary meaning, means "physical
waste" as that term is generally understood in the oil and gas
industry. The term shall also include, but not be limited to:
(A) The inefficient, excessive, or improper use or dissipation
of reservoir energy and the locating, spacing, drilling,
equipping, operating, or producing of any oil or gas well or
wells in a manner which results, or tends to result, in a
reduction in the quantity of oil or gas ultimately to be
recovered from any pool in this state;
(B) The inefficient storing of oil and the locating, spacing,
drilling, equipping, operating, or producing of any oil or gas
well or wells in a manner causing, or tending to cause,
unnecessary or excessive surface loss or destruction of oil or
(C) Abuse of the correlative rights and opportunities of each
owner of gas or oil in a common reservoir due to nonuniform,
disproportionate, and unratable withdrawals causing undue
drainage between tracts of lands;
(D) The production of oil or gas in such a manner as to cause
unnecessary water channeling or zoning;
(E) The operation of any oil well or wells with an inefficient
(F) The drowning with water of any stratum or part thereof
capable of producing gas or oil, except where approval for such
a project has been granted by the department;
(G) Underground waste, however caused and whether or not
defined, as the same relates to any activity regulated by this
(H) The creation of unnecessary fire hazards as the same relates
to any activity regulated by this part;
(I) The escape into the open air, from a well producing both oil
and gas, of gas in excess of the amount which is necessary in
the efficient drilling or operation of the well;
(J) Permitting gas produced from a gas well to escape into the
air, except for testing purposes.
(18) "Well" means any boring drilled in the search for or the
production of oil, gas, or other minerals or water.