Title 24, Chapter 9, Section 101
As used in this article, the term:
(1) "Agency" means any agency, authority, board, bureau,
committee, commission, court, department, or jury of the
legislative, judicial, or executive branch of government of the
state or any political subdivision thereof.
(2) "Department" means the Department of Human Resources.
(3) "Hearing impaired person" means any person whose hearing is
totally impaired or whose hearing is so seriously impaired as to
prohibit the person from understanding oral communications when
spoken in a normal conversational tone.
(4) "Intermediary interpreter" means any person, including any
hearing impaired person, who is able to assist in providing an
accurate interpretation between spoken English and sign language
or between the variance of sign language by acting as an
intermediary between a hearing impaired person and a qualified
(5) "Proceeding" means any meeting, hearing, trial, investigation,
or other proceeding of any nature conducted by an agency.
(6) "Qualified interpreter" means any person certified as an
interpreter by the National Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf
or approved as an interpreter by the Georgia Registry of
Interpreters for the Deaf.