Title 36, Chapter 39, Section 1
As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) "Frontage" means that side or limit of the lot or parcel of
land in question which abuts on the improvement.
(2) "Governing body" means the mayor and council, board of
aldermen, board of commissioners, or other chief legislative body
of a municipal corporation.
(3) "Improve" and "improvement" include the grading, regrading,
paving, repaving, macadamizing, and remacadamizing of streets,
alleys, sidewalks, or other public places or ways and the
construction, reconstruction, and altering of curbing, guttering,
storm sewers, turnouts, water mains, and water, gas, or sewer
(4) "Municipal corporation" means any city or town incorporated in
this state, having a population of 600 or more.
(5) "Pave" includes storm draining, paving, macadamizing, and
(6) "Streets" means streets, avenues, alleys, sidewalks, and other
public places or ways.