Title 40, Chapter 9, Section 2
As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) "Accident" means the collision of any motor vehicle with
another vehicle or with any object or fixture, or involvement of a
motor vehicle in any manner in which any person is killed or
injured or in which damage to the property of any one person to an
extent of $500.00 or more is sustained.
(2) "Commissioner" means the commissioner of motor vehicle safety.
(3) "Department" means the Department of Motor Vehicle Safety.
(4) "Operator" means every person who drives or is in actual
physical control of a motor vehicle upon a highway or who is
exercising control over or steering a vehicle being towed by a
(5) "Proof of financial responsibility" means proof of ability to respond in damages for liability on account of accidents occurring subsequent to the effective date of said proof in the amounts specified in subparagraph (a)(1)(A) of Code Section 33-7-11.
(6) "Registration" means the registration certificates and
registration plates issued under the laws of this state pertaining
to the registration of vehicles.
(7) "Suspension of driver's license" means the temporary
withdrawal by formal action of the department of a resident's
license or nonresident's privilege to operate a motor vehicle on
the public highways.