Title 43, Chapter 33, Section 3
As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) "Board" means the State Board of Physical Therapy.
(2) "License" means a valid and current certificate of
registration issued by the board, which shall give the person to
whom it is issued authority to engage in the practice prescribed
(3) "Licensee" means any person holding a license under this
(4) "Person" means a human being only, not a legal entity.
(5) "Physical therapist" means a person licensed to practice
physical therapy as defined in this chapter and whose license is
in good standing. A physical therapist shall be designated by the
(6) "Physical therapist assistant" or "physical therapy assistant"
means a person who is licensed by the board to assist a physical
therapist, whose activities are supervised and directed by a
physical therapist, and whose license is in good standing. A
physical therapist assistant shall be designated by the initials
(7) "Physical therapy" means the examination, treatment, and
instruction of human beings to detect, assess, prevent, correct,
alleviate, and limit physical disability, bodily malfunction and
pain from injury, disease, and any other bodily and mental
conditions and includes the administration, interpretation,
documentation, and evaluation of tests and measurements of bodily
functions and structures; the planning, administration,
evaluation, and modification of treatment and instruction,
including the use of physical measures, activities, and devices,
for preventative and therapeutic purposes; and the provision of
consultative, educational, and other advisory services for the
purpose of preventing or reducing the incidence and severity of
physical disability, bodily malfunction, and pain.
(8) "Physical therapy aide" means a person who only performs
designated and supervised physical therapy tasks. The physical
therapy aide must receive direct supervision and must be directed
on the premises at all times by a licensee. Physical therapy
aides are not licensed under this chapter.
(9) "Trainee" means an individual who is approved for a
(10) "Traineeship" means a period of activity during which a
trainee works under the direct supervision of a licensed physical
therapist who has practiced for not less than one year prior to
assuming the supervisory role.
(11) "Training permit" means a valid and current certificate of
registration issued by the board, which gives the person to whom
it is issued authority to engage in practice through a traineeship